Monday, May 11, 2009

"I like it here..."



I didn’t know what it was going to be like to bring my 11-year-old daughter Devin with me to Haiti. In such a beautiful country with the bluest water that she has ever seen lives incredible poverty and thirst.

Devin watches quietly and takes things in. Haiti’s a crazy place to come into as an adult. On one side of the plane as we land are beautiful mountains and blue-green waters – truly paradise. The other side of the plane shows a totally different picture...tin shacks that lean against each other, people crammed in small spaces and trash everywhere – true poverty.

My last three days have been amazing, I have fallen in love with this place and its people all over again, but I have also been watching Devin grow and been seeing how mature she is. Watching her deal with new experiences: 3 hour church services in concrete buildings, with no air or ventilation, riding in the back of a pick-up truck and on top of a Jimmy truck, watching her interact with the kids from HCH, and simply taking in the sights around her.

The first night we were in Haiti, riding back from meeting the HCH kids she and I were in the back of the pick-up truck driving down a dirt road. With light rain, coconut trees and palm trees all around, she said “I like it here.” I asked her, “Here in the back of the truck or here in Haiti?” She said, “Here in Haiti.” At that point I new she had been captivated. If nothing else I want her to see the beauty in this country and its people and the need that is here. I want her to go home to share her stories and to know that, although only 11, she can make a difference in someone’s life.

-Karen

6 comments:

  1. Prehaps the biggest diffence will not be in someone else's life. Prehaps the differnce will be in her own life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi moomie! its Kelsey-bell! i read the blog and i am glad devin likes it there!i miss you so much and i cant wait to see you on saturday! i hope you are having lots and lots of fun! LOVE,
    Kelsey-bell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Devin...it sounds like you are having a really great experience there. We are so proud of you! Glad that we get to see some pictures of you. Can't wait to hear your stories first-hand and see all the pictures you've taken. Kelsey said to say "hi" to you and Anthony. We love you and miss you very much! Keep smiling. Love, Daddy and Melody

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Friends,

    Just wanted you to know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers...especially Woody.

    Only God knows the plans He has for Devin, but I am confident that this trip will be one of those formative experiences that will shape the person God wants her to be. With her empathy and insight, this no doubt will be life changing.

    Love you friends, be well!

    Peace,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dad! I miss you, and I know you were all worried. But I don't think you are now. Love you and miss you. I wish I could see you right when you get back, but, I keep praying. And I extremly for Devin. And God reached her on that day. I love you all. And hope you are doing well.
    ♥April

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Devin, Anthony, and Mrs. Campbell,
    It's Kristen. WOW I really miss you guys (epescailly Devin). I am having to go a whole entire week without seeing my best friend!!! Devin, today we did the EOG math calculator active, and it was easy!!!! You'll blow through it!!! Devin, I kind of dont want you to change. Your my best friend for reason, but I guess if it will make you an even better person then already are then change is good. Stay safe.
    Kristen :) ♥

    ReplyDelete