Thursday, May 14, 2009

Peace

This week has gone by so fast it’s hard to believe it’s already Thursday. It’s not over yet – we still have the rest of the day and tomorrow morning (I’m writing at about 2:00 on Thursday). I am looking forward to souvenir shopping and going to the restaurant later. It will be interesting to see how restaurants operate in Haiti; we had to place our order 2 days ago so they could make sure they actually had what we wanted to order. Later it will be time to pack up and get ready for our day of traveling tomorrow.

Yesterday I was able to go with Gwenn Mangine, her daughter, and Devin to the beach to pick up trash and put it in bags. First we went to the public beach and got a few pieces of trash. That beach had been raked for trash recently so we left and drove over to the beach on the HCH land. When we got there these 3 boys followed us all the way down to the beach and helped us pick up trash. It was so nice to see them so eager to help. They were such sweet boys. I gave them a whole bottle of water, and between the three of them they had that water drunk when I turned around next.

The thing about that beach on the land is it is so incredibly peaceful. It is like a beach you see in a movie about a desert island. No hotels, no mansion, no snack shacks, and no tourists with beach umbrellas and boogie boards. It was nice not to see all that action for a change. After we picked up a bunch of garbage I was able to get my feet wet and explore in some of the rocks. It was so peaceful, especially looking out into the sea. What a wonderful experience to have. God made the oceans to connect the whole world together.

- Emily

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed following your team on your trip. I know it is with somewhat of heavy heart you leave today. I will be sharing my experiece in Haiti with my chuch tonight. It's weird. I am so full but I don't know what I will say. It's hard to explain to someone who has not been there. I pray your whole team will find ways to share when you get back.

    ReplyDelete