Sunday, May 10, 2009

Signs?



This post was written on Sunday night, but due to problems with power and internet connection we are just now being able to post. We will hopefully have another blog update tonight after dinner, so check back for that too! More pictures coming soon, and thank you all for your prayers. They are so necessary and so appreciated! -T.H.

Hi!! J First of all, thanks to everyone who is reading this and praying for us - I know that personally I’m so grateful for all of the support…this trip has definitely been smooth and we feel so blessed to be here. Also, Happy Mother’s Day to my Mom, and definitely all the other team members mothers’ at home! I know we’ve all been thinking about you today, and want you to rest assured that all is well here with your children!

This trip has been amazing so far. I really feel like God has opened my eyes to the beauty that exists, even in the face of such poverty. Haiti may be a third-world country, but to see the people and the activity that surrounds us here, it is evident that these people are alive in a way that I have never really experienced before.

This morning we attended Haitian church. A-MAZING!!! I was admittedly nervous before we got there because I had heard so much about how it was going to be hot and the people were going to be dancing and loud and it was just so different than the church we’re used to. We walked in and it was great!! People were dancing and singing and the energy in the room was incredible. I loved it!! Since the service was in Creole, we definitely couldn’t understand what they were saying, but a woman approached us and translated the songs and message for us. The best part for me was that there were a lot of deaf people sitting in the area near where we were sitting. A couple summers ago, my friend Cheryl taught me some words in sign, mostly church-related words. So I could watch the deaf people signing and tell what the pastors were singing or saying...mostly picking out words like Jesus, Hallelujah, God, Lord, King, etc. The translator saw me watch the people sign while I was showing Andrea some signs and their meanings, and signed to ask me if I knew sign language. I said I knew a little, so after service was finished he came over to talk to me. He brought some of the deaf people that were at the service over to talk as well and they were smiling and all wanted to shake my hand. They all started to sign to me (I should mention that I’m not fluent in sign, so that was a little dicey), but basically they wanted to know my name, where I was from, if I knew Pastor Bow J and really basic things like that. We got ready to leave and they signed that they were really happy to have me there, and all said goodbye. It was really cool to connect with them that way and they were very excited to see someone who could sign back to them!

Another really cool thing for me was the music. There was a guy playing keys and one of the HCH kids were drumming, and the people were singing (in Creole, obviously) but it just hit me what a universal language music is. I could have gone up to the guy playing keys, and even if he didn’t speak a word of English, we still have a connection because of the music. It just really hit me as I was standing and dancing and singing that I always knew that music was an amazing connection between people, but it never really occurred to me that it was universal. A really moving moment!

As I write, Elinda is trying to hijack the computer and wiping the salt from peanuts on my arms, and the bugs are biting, so I’m thinking it’s time to wrap it up and head in for dinner. Thanks again for all the prayers and thoughts from home - we really know that there is no way we’d be here without you and your love and support. What an amazing mission God has made us all a part of.

P.S. We got to see Nick and Gwenn’s house today—amazing!!! I love it!! Such a beautiful place for them to start their mission here in Haiti!!

-Ashley


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having fun and embracing the experience buddy... MISS YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, As I read your words I long so much to be there!When we were there for Easter I was able to intrepret for the deaf as Danny was preaching in English! It was so awesome to be in a foreign country and not to have a language barrier. By the middle of the week a few of the deaf kids were showing up at team housing to visit...it was awesome. I am so glad you got to connect with them! They are such nice kids.
    I am glad things are going well in spite Woody's accident.
    You don't know me but I am praying for you all even if I am a little jealous:)
    ~blessings~ Denise (gwenn's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you! You definitely have a special way to connect to people through your music- and you signing! So cool!!!

    Love you and selfishly want you home :)

    ReplyDelete